hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC 5.0 scope and design decisions
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2016 03:57:40 GMT
Hi Oleg
> The HTTP/2 transport in trunk has been shaping up reasonably well. I
> have made some good progress recently and am cautiously optimistic that
> there should be a HttpCore 5.0 alpha release with the new non-blocking
> HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2 transports within a month or two. HttpClient 5.0
> alpha should follow in Jan 2017.
This is good to hear. Unfortunately I've not yet had a chance to go
through the changes or the new HTTP/2 codebase yet
> (1) I no longer see any reason to continue developing the classic
> (blocking) server side transport. We only use it for integration tests
> internally for integration tests and I feel there is no reason to not
> use non-blocking transport for all integration tests instead.
+1. I do not think there are any other downstream projects using the
blocking server side transports either.
> (2) What would you say about HttpCore 5.0 remaining Java 7 compatible
> but HttpClient 5.0 requiring Java 8?
>
> I do not see HC 5.0 going GA any time sooner than Q4 2017. By that time
> Java 9 should be out and Java 8 might be approaching EOL. Two years ago
> Java 7 compatibility sounded like a good idea but it looks less so
> today.
+1. Makes sense
> (3) Never ending trouble with logging toolkits.
>
> Should be remain faithful to Commons Logging or shall we finally migrate
> to SLF4J?
I agree with Gary that Log4J2 is better than SLF4J too. Since we also
have Gary's experience and support to move to it, I think that maybe the
best option.

regards
asankha

--