hc-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Potapov <potapo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HC 5.0 scope and design decisions
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 18:48:39 GMT
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 07:53:52PM +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 18:40 +0300, Dmitry Potapov wrote:
> > Oleg,
> >

> Hi Dmitry
>
> > I'm not sure I got it right.
> > Are you going to drop org.apache.http.protocol.HttpService class?
>
> Yes, I do.
>
> > For now it is the only way to:
> >  1. Process full-duplex requests (i.e. start sending reply before complete request
entity consumption)

> Full-duplex data transfer should be massively easier with non-blocking
> I/O. If it is not, it is a problem with the actual non-blocking code.
It is possible. I have patch which enables full duplex in NIO: https://gist.github.com/hirthwork/be613055884362ea68d3
But this patch really need review from somebody who understands current internals better than
I am.
We had conversation before (8 Dec 2014). You had some doubts concerning rfc compatibility
at this point, and I didn't insisted because I found that my tasks can be done without full-duplex
support.

> >  2. Compless/decomplress requests and responses on the fly (DecompressingEntity
really does the job for servers). This is possible for NIO too, but will require to implement
non-blocking analog for GzipInputStream.

> Very true. However we likely will have to do it anyway if we want HTTP/2
> code to support transparent content compression / decompression.
>
> >  3. Reduce threads contention by using fixed number of workers with connections
queue. This allows to limit CPU usage with native system mechanisms: you spawn 4 threads and
you know that only 4 requests and responses will be served simultaneously, without excessive
context switching and risk of response being blocked by other heavy task.

> Exactly the same can be done with non-blocking code very easily as long
> as one can live without InputStream / OutputStream compatibility.
There is too few libraries able to process stream data without blocking Java streams: JFlex,
Tika, Pdfclown they are all using blocking i/o.

> >  4. Blocking server is the only effective way to stream static files from disk,
as there is no such thing as non-blocking file channels (unless you're crazy and use direct
i/o). For instance, recent nginx versions uses separate pool with blocking operations for
this task, otherwise static files streaming will preempt other requests.

> Non-blocking file channels were implemented in Java 7 with NIO2, were
> they not? Besides, NIO with direct channels (zero-copy mode) outperforms
> classic I/O considerably when copying content directly from a file. The
> problem is that HTTP/2 makes zero-copy impossible due to frame
> multiplexing.
This is not about non-blocking channels and not about zero-copy. This is about lack of real
asynchornous reads support in Linux.
For example, http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/open.2.html describes O_NONBLOCK has the
following statement concerning O_NONBLOCK:
> Note that this flag has no effect for regular files and block devices; that is, I/O operations
will (briefly) block when device activity is required, regardless of whether O_NONBLOCK is
set

There was other attempts for asynchonous disk i/o implementations like http://lse.sourceforge.net/io/aio.html,
but they declares the following:
> What Does Not Work?
>   * AIO read and write on files opened without O_DIRECT
But the O_DIRECT has even worse drawbacks than blocking disk read, such as lack of file system
page cache.

So for now the only way to have both page cache and "non-blocking" i/o is to use thread pools,
like nginx does: http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#aio

> > Every item listed above can be achieved in HttpAsyncService but this will require
some software crutches and won't allow to achieve maximum throughput and performance.

> There is no harm in keeping HttpService as long as people find it
> useful. I just personally tend to think its usefulness will be
> diminishing (beyond cases where one needs good performance and
> InputStream / OutputStream compatibility).
>
> Oleg

Best regards
Dmitry Potapov