hc-dev mailing list archives

From Justi Kd <just...@outlook.com>
Subject HttpCore - CC buddy license.
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:37:43 GMT

Please remove HttpCore dependency on the annotations CC licensing because it unnecessarily
complicates life – legal wise.

From HttpCore license file:

"If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the
Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices
for the Work and provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name
of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the Original
Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing
entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other
reasonable means, the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to
the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor
specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright
notice or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit
identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work
by Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author"). Such credit
may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative
Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship
credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit."

Does anyone know what "publicly perform", or "publicly digitally perform" the Work or any
Derivative Works or Collective Works actually mean for software? This wording was clearly
drafted having a song or a painting in mind.

If I use the package in a public facing website or web service am I required to display an
attribution for this? What if I use HttpCore server as a public http endpoint and I don't
want to disclose this for security reasons; do I still need to give attribution to the annotations
alone? seems ridicules..

BTW, nothing here about the annotations themselves, or giving credit when distributing HttpCore
just that the CC licensing requirements make no scene for this project.

CC self states that it is not suited for software:

"Can I apply a Creative Commons license to software?" - https://creativecommons.org/faq/

Alternatively, please ask the authors to offer this under the ASL2 license which is well understood.