hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore - CC buddy license.
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:29:24 GMT
On Feb 29, 2016 6:37 AM, "Justi Kd" <justikd@outlook.com> wrote:

> Please remove HttpCore dependency on the annotations CC licensing because
it unnecessarily complicates life – legal wise.

> From HttpCore license file:
>
> "If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works, You
must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and provide, reasonable
to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the name of the Original
Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied, and/or (ii) if the
Original Author and/or Licensor designate another party or parties (e.g. a
sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in
Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by other reasonable means,
the name of such party or parties; the title of the Work if supplied; to
the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any,
that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work, unless such URI
does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing information for the
Work; and in the case of a Derivative Work, a credit identifying the use of
the Work in the Derivative Work (e.g., "French translation of the Work by
Original Author," or "Screenplay based on original Work by Original
Author"). Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner;
provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective
Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such
other comparable authorship credit."

> Does anyone know what "publicly perform", or "publicly digitally perform"
the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective Works actually mean for
software? This wording was clearly drafted having a song or a painting in
mind.

> If I use the package in a public facing website or web service am I
required to display an attribution for this? What if I use HttpCore server
as a public http endpoint and I don't want to disclose this for security
reasons; do I still need to give attribution to the annotations alone?
seems ridicules..

> BTW, nothing here about the annotations themselves, or giving credit when
distributing HttpCore just that the CC licensing requirements make no scene
for this project.

https://creativecommons.org/faq/

> Alternatively, please ask the authors to offer this under the ASL2
license which is well understood.

Did you ask? If you feel strongly about this, let them know. More voices is
better.

Gary

Gary