hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Bhowmik, Bindul" <bindulbhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore - CC buddy license.
Date Mon, 29 Feb 2016 17:39:47 GMT
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Justi Kd <justikd@outlook.com> wrote:

>  > You are welcome to approach them on our behalf if you feel strongly
>  > about the issue.
>  >
>  > Oleg
>

> I think it's quite important to remove this because what seems trivial or non-issue
> for us developers may prove to be an obstacle when challenged by managers/legal folks
> and at the end of the day it's about replying: this is ASL2 OR this is ASL2 'but' and
> I don't think we need to be put in a position to explain any 'but' or deal with any
> adoption barrier that might pop later due to this.
>
> Anyway, I did some searches and I couldn't find direct contact info for the authors
> (excluding twitter). I'll keep on searching but if you have any 'ideas' don't hesitate
> to send me a direct email.
>
> Another way to resolve this would be to somehow make these "optional" and state that
> this library *optionally* depends on these by doing x,y,z and are not required to make
> use of the library.

For what it's worth, while going through Surefire parallel / fork
documentation a couple of weeks ago, I came across a ASL licensed
version of the JCIP annotations [1], which is also available on Maven
Central [2].

One option would be for the project to change the dependency for JCIP
annotations to com.github.stephenc.jcip:jcip-annotations; alternately
any consumer can exclude the net.jcip:jcip-annotations from the HTTP
Core/Client dependency and add the
com.github.stephenc.jcip:jcip-annotations to their project. Though I
have not verified it, but it should work.

- Bindul

[1] https://github.com/stephenc/jcip-annotations
[2] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|com.github.stephenc.jcip|jcip-annotations|1.0-1|jar