hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default timeouts
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:25:18 GMT
On Jan 12, 2016 8:06 AM, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-01-10 at 22:51 -0500, Gaspard Petit wrote:
> > Hi Oleg,
> >
> > Thank you for taking the time to respond my comment.
> >
> > I agree with you that timeouts are not one-size-fits-all.  However, I
cannot think of any real-world application that would require to use an
infinite timeout.  When the SSL handshake has been waiting on the socket
for over 2 days, there is no doubt that the application is in failure state
and should either retry or abandon.

> > The cases where infinite timeouts are useful, in my opinion, are
strictly when debugging the code, to let you grab a coffee while stepping
through the code.

> > Anything between 20s and 2 minutes would be reasonable.  I would
personally go for something like this:

> > Default SSL Handshake socket timeout : 30s
> > Socket (Request) timeout : 30s
> > Connection timeout : 60s
> >
> > Most likely, current HttpClient users are already defining their
timeouts, so only few users should be negatively impacted by such a change.
On the other end, any new user will immediately benefit from more practical
default values.

> > In the end, my biggest concern is the ssh socket timeout, since it is
the most tricky to configure and a lot of sample code I found on the
internet did not mention this timeout.  If you are hesitating, I would at
least set a finite default for that one.

> Gaspard
>
> As of 4.4 HttpClient uses connect timeout value for SSL handshake by
> default. I hope this should be enough to address your biggest concern.
>
> I am a bit hesitant to set socket and connect timeouts to a positive
> value by default as JRE default timeout values are 0 (no timeout).

I think the JRE will never change that behavior due to compatibility.

I think it is OK for us to use timeouts in version 5 to non-infinite
values. It is just odd to have a default config that can cause an app to
appear to hang by default.

Gary