hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Default timeouts
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:06:52 GMT
On Sun, 2016-01-10 at 22:51 -0500, Gaspard Petit wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to respond my comment.
>
> I agree with you that timeouts are not one-size-fits-all.  However, I cannot think of
any real-world application that would require to use an infinite timeout.  When the SSL handshake
has been waiting on the socket for over 2 days, there is no doubt that the application is
in failure state and should either retry or abandon.

> The cases where infinite timeouts are useful, in my opinion, are strictly when debugging
the code, to let you grab a coffee while stepping through the code.

> Anything between 20s and 2 minutes would be reasonable.  I would personally go for something
like this:

> Default SSL Handshake socket timeout : 30s
> Socket (Request) timeout : 30s
> Connection timeout : 60s
>
> Most likely, current HttpClient users are already defining their timeouts, so only few
users should be negatively impacted by such a change. On the other end, any new user will
immediately benefit from more practical default values.

> In the end, my biggest concern is the ssh socket timeout, since it is the most tricky
to configure and a lot of sample code I found on the internet did not mention this timeout.
 If you are hesitating, I would at least set a finite default for that one.

Gaspard

As of 4.4 HttpClient uses connect timeout value for SSL handshake by
default. I hope this should be enough to address your biggest concern.

I am a bit hesitant to set socket and connect timeouts to a positive
value by default as JRE default timeout values are 0 (no timeout).

Oleg