hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Osipov" <1983-01...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Re: HC 5.0: package / module structure; Re: HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:08:16 GMT
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Jon Moore <jonm@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org>
> > wrote:

> > > Believe that is too early. We are using a company-wide, Eclipse RCP-based
> > > product which is on Eclipse 3.4/3.6 and still HttpClient 3.x. I highly
> > > doubt that the dev team will jump on e4 and Java 8 features.
> > > Java 7 is a good base line.
> >

> By the time, HC5 comes out, Java 9 might be out ;-)
>
> I think it is time to move to Java 8, which might also attract fresh blood
> to the project.

Gary,

if you have seen those screencaps from Devoxx in Belgium you would know that Java 9 brings
the most tremendous changes since the inception of Java (citing Mark Reinhold). This is
too much changes for just one release.

Moreover, I highly against moving to Java 8 right now becuase too many people have constraints
to move to a new major Java version. Withhelding them from upgrade to 5.0 just because of
that
would create a chicken-end-egg problem.

Given that this project has only few active developers, we should rather focus on onther issues.

For instance, at Maven there are probably working ten developers, yet we have chosen to stick
to Java 7 for broad compat.

Michael