hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC 5.0: artifact id; Re: HC 5.0: package / module structure; Re: HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:03:20 GMT
Am 2015-11-25 um 17:36 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> Folks
>
> I made the first pass at re-arranging packages in HttpCore trunk and
> think it is presently good enough for 5.0-alpha1
>
> Please feel free to take a look.

Just checked. Looks like a tremendous move action. I will require a day
or two to have a look at it. At first glance, it looks good.

> I am now going to change artifact id from
>
> org.apache.httpcomponents:httpcore

> org.apache.httpcomponents.core5:httpcore
>
> Please let me know if you have objections or better ideas.

The group id is good. I think we can do better with the artifact id(s).

httpcomponents-core-parent or even simpler httpcore-parent (a parent
should always be named as such)
|- httpcore
|- httpcore-ab
|- httpcore-osgi

We should always keep in mind that the artifact should be recognizable
by its filname or id. Maybe httpcomponents-httpcore, -httpcore-ab, etc.
would be better but they are, of course, longer. (imho)

Those depicted in the tree are probably an acceptable trade-off.

Michael

> On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 18:01 +0100, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> Folks
>>
>> I moved code to org.apache.hc.core5 namespace as the first step.
>>
>> Now I would like to move things around in order to make the package
>> structure more consistent, reduce circular dependencies between packages
>> and prepare for messaging code separation into HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2
>> compliant implementations.
>>
>> However, more importantly I would like to fold httpcore-nio into
>> httpcore. Separation into two modules made sense in 2005 but hardly
>> makes any sense today in 2015.
>>
>> Please let me know if you have any objections to that.
>>
>> Oleg
>>

>> On Thu, 2015-11-19 at 12:32 +0100, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> I would like to start working on the first alpha releases of HC 5.0.
>>>
>>> There is one issue that still needs to be discussed though before I can
>>> proceed. We need to decide on how we intent to maintain compatibility
>>> with HC 4.x. It is pretty clear that maintaining full compatibility is
>>> unrealistic and probably counter-productive. HC 5.0 is likely to have
>>> different APIs especially once HTTP/2 transport is implemented.
>>>
>>> A pragmatic approach could be to make HC 5.0 and HC 4.x deployable
>>> within the same class loader context (so called co-location). This is
>>> what Apache Commons do with their major releases. We should do
>>> likewise.
>>>
>>> Effectively co-location is about moving major releases to a new package
>>> space like org.apache.commons.lang3, org.apache.commons.lang4, etc. I
>>> think we should adopt a compatible scheme. The trouble is that when the
>>> project was started in 2005 the choice of 'org.apache.http' was pretty
>>> natural and in line with Jakarta practices (anyone here still remembers
>>> Apache Jakarta?). Now it can be seen as too presumptuous. This would be
>>> a good opportunity to fix that.
>>>
>>> What would be a better name space for the project in your opinion?
>>>
>>> org.apache.http<n>
>>> org.apache.http.hc<n>