hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC 5.0: package / module structure; Re: HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2015 19:42:01 GMT
Am 2015-11-22 um 20:11 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 19:48 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2015-11-21 um 18:01 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> I moved code to org.apache.hc.core5 namespace as the first step.
>>>
>>> Now I would like to move things around in order to make the package
>>> structure more consistent, reduce circular dependencies between packages
>>> and prepare for messaging code separation into HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2
>>> compliant implementations.
>>>
>>> However, more importantly I would like to fold httpcore-nio into
>>> httpcore. Separation into two modules made sense in 2005 but hardly
>>> makes any sense today in 2015.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you have any objections to that.
>>
>> I am quite happy with that. The rename is the very first step to get the
>> module in shape.
>>
>> We should immediately drop deprecated stuff and stuff which is already
>> in Java 7 by default. Moreover stuff which is in other Commons projects
>> which we could either verbatim copy into util or simply depend on it,
>> e.g., Commons Lang StringUtils/Validate.
>>
>> Have you thought about adapting group ids and artifact ids as well?
>> Currently, they seem counter-intuitive to me. Not the way I would expect
>> proper artifact id names. At least not sturctured the way I am used from
>> maven.a.o.
>>
>> Additionally, the parent POM has a stupid artifact id, as well as
>> configurations which are by now obsolete or already set by default by now.
>> I'd like to work on the parent POM to take it to a new level which would
>> introduce a new artifact id. It could co-exist with 4.x until it goes
>> out of life.
>>

> Are you referring to this one?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/project/trunk/pom.xml
>
> If so, by all of means do feel free to improve it.

Yes, that one. I would prefer to create a new one under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/pom/trunk/pom.xml to
avoid disruptive changes with a new artifact id. The POM is so old that
is hasn't been improved structurally for years. There have been so many
changes to Apache Parent and Maven Parent from which we can benefit from.

If you are fine with that, I will copy and start my work next week.

Michael

Michael