hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2015 18:04:32 GMT
Am 2015-11-20 um 16:33 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>>> While not very likely we might have non HTTP protocol support as well,
>>> such as Websockets.
>>
>> I see but WebSockets share no common code with HTTP except the initial handshake.
>> I would rather see this as another top level project because HttpClient's API is
>> highly optimized for HTTP and not a general-purpose one like Commons VFS.
>>

> Project charter allows us to pursue development of a component toolset
> 'focused on HTTP and associated protocols'.

I wouldn't really say that WebSockets are an associated protocol due to
its different nature in communication and messaging.

I highly doubt that we well gain the proper momentum to develop
something for WebSockets. It should be at least as good as Jetty's WS
Client API.

> I also can well imagine SSL related components being in a separate
> namespace like 'org.apache.hc.core5.ssl'

That would be ok.

At the end, you propose:

HC Core: org.apache.hc.http.core5
HC Client: org.apache.hc.http.client5
HC Async Cilent: org.apache.hc.http.asyncclient5

Is that right?

I have intentionally switched that because client wouldn't live under
core5. I have already Java modules in mind Oracle is about to introduce
in Java 9 (auto module feature).

Michael