hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: HC 5.0: package / module structure; Re: HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 09:31:30 GMT
On Mon, 2015-11-23 at 10:08 +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Jon Moore <jonm@apache.org> wrote:

> > By the time, HC5 comes out, Java 9 might be out ;-)
> >
> > I think it is time to move to Java 8, which might also attract fresh blood
> > to the project.
>
> Gary,
>
> if you have seen those screencaps from Devoxx in Belgium you would know that Java 9 brings
> the most tremendous changes since the inception of Java (citing Mark Reinhold). This
is
> too much changes for just one release.
>
> Moreover, I highly against moving to Java 8 right now becuase too many people have constraints
> to move to a new major Java version. Withhelding them from upgrade to 5.0 just because
of that
> would create a chicken-end-egg problem.
>
> Given that this project has only few active developers, we should rather focus on onther
issues.

> For instance, at Maven there are probably working ten developers, yet we have chosen
to stick
> to Java 7 for broad compat.
>
> Michael

Folks

I think it was probably a little more than year ago that Gradle folks
said they might have to consider forking HttpClient if we had moved to
Java 6 too soon. HC is a low level library. We risk losing a substantial
user base if we get too carried away with new Java features.

I loathe having to go back to Java 7 from Java 8 every time work on
HttpClient. Really. But let's revisit this decision in a few month time.
We might be forced to upgrade due to HTTP/2 TLS requirements.

Oleg