hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject HC 5.0: co-location with HC 4.x
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:32:06 GMT
Folks

I would like to start working on the first alpha releases of HC 5.0.

There is one issue that still needs to be discussed though before I can
proceed. We need to decide on how we intent to maintain compatibility
with HC 4.x. It is pretty clear that maintaining full compatibility is
unrealistic and probably counter-productive. HC 5.0 is likely to have
different APIs especially once HTTP/2 transport is implemented.

A pragmatic approach could be to make HC 5.0 and HC 4.x deployable
within the same class loader context (so called co-location). This is
what Apache Commons do with their major releases. We should do
likewise.

Effectively co-location is about moving major releases to a new package
space like org.apache.commons.lang3, org.apache.commons.lang4, etc. I
think we should adopt a compatible scheme. The trouble is that when the
project was started in 2005 the choice of 'org.apache.http' was pretty
natural and in line with Jakarta practices (anyone here still remembers
Apache Jakarta?). Now it can be seen as too presumptuous. This would be
a good opportunity to fix that.

What would be a better name space for the project in your opinion?

org.apache.http<n>
org.apache.http.hc<n>
org.apache.hc<n>.http
where <n> is a major release version

Something else? Any thoughts or preferences?

Oleg