hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi testing / HTTPCLIENT-1673
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:45:55 GMT
On Tue, 2015-08-18 at 14:45 -0400, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On HTTPCLIENT-1673, I provided some OSGi testing code using pax-exam that
> turns out to require Java 1.7. Oleg asked me if there was a way to backport
> to 1.6.
>
> The answer is maybe. Since my bug report was an incorrect analysis in the
> first place, I have an alternative suggestion. If there is active dev for
> 5.0, and if the baseline for 5.0 is 1.7, then I propose to relocate this
> patch to the trunk and, and leave 4.5.x alone. If you all are sticking to
> medieval java, however, I will go do the archaeology to figure out the
> versions that would work for 1.6.

I simply do not know what is going to happen with the 5.x branch
overtime and how long it might take to get to a GA release.

We have no choice but to stick to Java 1.6 compatibility for the 4.x
branch and maintain it for quite some while. We still have upstream
projects that expect us to do so (Gradle for instance)

It would certainly be nice to have some test coverage of OSGi code and
metadata in 4.x, but I cannot expect you to take upon this rather
unexciting job. I'll revert the patch in 4.5.x if it is too much of a
trouble to make it Java 1.6 compatible.

Oleg