hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Animal sniffer Java API checking
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2015 20:52:32 GMT
I've been working on adding Animal Sniffer Plugin to Commons NET
(intially, maybe add to the parent eventually).

The plugin can compare the compiled code against an API signature for
a specific Java version.
It detects most incompatibilities, but should not be regarded as
fool-proof - only a test with the target JVM will really show that.

Commons has lots of components with lots of different Java targets,
and it's not always convenient/possible to use the CI builds to detect
such errors. So the plugin has its uses.

Possibly less useful here, but if it is of interest I can provide a patch.

Note: the NET pom code uses the build-helper to convert the target
(say) 1.5 to the API signature name "java15" and the sniffer is
invoked during the test phase.

Currently the sniffer is always invoked; it can be skipped by defining
animal.sniffer.skip
However it would also be possible to add the code as an optional
profile instead.

WDYT?

Sorry, I've no idea if it can be used to check the Android code.