hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC core and client 4.4 GA release planning
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:06:37 GMT
Am 2014-12-01 um 11:46 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> Folks
>
> There has been no bug reports / change requests for the 4.4 branch of
> HttpCore for some while. I see no good reasons to delay 4.4 GA release
> any longer given that new development efforts have moved to trunk (5.0).
>
> Are there any objections to releasing HttpCore 4.4 GA soon?
>
> I also would like to release HttpClient 4.4 (be it GA or BETA2 can still
> be discussed) in January.
>
> @michaelo
>
> Michael, do you think mid January target release date is realistic?

Hi,

sorry for the late response, I was quite busy fixing/merging issues with
some Maven plugins I'd like to roll this month.

Mid Jan looks good actually, though I like to emphasize on three things
or want, at least, mention them and hear your opinion guys:

0. I need to clarify a few things about how stuff is implemented/works
in HttpClient and will do this with a seperate mail.

1. Since I am going to rewrite a lot of stuff, I would prefer people to
test that first in a beta before we/you announce that GA.

2. Though, I have already discussed some stuff privately with Oleg, I'd
like to completely rename the Windows-named classes to SSPI.., which
reflects the implementation behind, just like GSS... As far as I can
see, this API is very new in 4.4 and a rename shouldn't cause too much
harm. This would break ABI though. If anyone of you is concerned about
that I can of course deprecate those classes only (in the module).

Michael