hc-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpCore trunk is now 5.0
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:51:08 GMT
Hi Oleg,

Will there be a 4.x release that will deal with RFC 7230?

I am wondering why you propose breaking backwards compatibility at the same
time you propose adding major new functionality.  I've looked at the RFC
and don't offhand see any reason why this should be related.  We've just
gone through a rather painful API HttpClient upgrade process in ManifoldCF,
and we have several component libraries (e.g. SolrJ) who haven't even
gotten fully to the "builder" model yet.  By tying together new
functionality with a brand-new API, essentially everyone has to start over
only a few months after the last update was complete.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I wind up spending 30% of my
development time on HttpClient updates, I consider that a problem.

Karl