hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore trunk is now 5.0
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:48:13 GMT
On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 09:56 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
> bq. I think it was proposed more than three months ago.
>
> Well, three months ago I was in the midst of a major release cycle, so I'm
> not surprised I missed it go by.
>
> bq. If RFC 7230 related changes turn out to be minor there is nothing that
> stops us from porting them to 4.4. But I doubt it is going to be the
> case.
>
> Out of curiosity, what RFC 7230 functionality do you see as invalidating
> current NIO APIs?

This is not really RFC 7230 related but is simply due to a greater
complexity of asynchronous i/o in general. API changes in HttpCore NIO
may be driven by changes in the i/o reactor components.

> bq. Moreover, it will take a considerable while before 5.0 supersedes 4.4
> as a stable GA release. There should be
> enough time for downstream projects to adapt.
>
> Depends on the project, of course.  Some projects (like Solr for instance)
> seem to have very poor ability to adapt to changes.  I can understand why
> because in ManifoldCF it takes us considerable effort (and some user bugs)
> to adapt every time APIs change.  I don't mind API's changing but I really
> don't want to be *forced* to change simply because of new functionality,
> unless the new functionality is directly incompatible with the old APIs.

Every time I have to upgrade Lucene I usually wish very violent troubles
to all Lucene developers. Later I still decide that I love Lucene and
all Lucene developers

Oleg