hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Core 4.4-beta1 based on RC1
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:07:49 GMT
On 23 September 2014 19:53, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

>> > do useless work yourself.
>> >
>> > It is not useless work.
>> > The RM must - and reviewers should - run the RAT and Clirr checks.
>> > This needs to be documented as part of the release voting.
>> >

>> I agree that the RM and reviewers must run or check these reports.
>> It sure would waste less time if the reports were provided or instructions
>> provided (I added some instructions to BUILDING.txt files yesterday FWIW).
>>
>> Gary
>>

> Gary
>
> As both of us just found our reports generated by RM and those generated
> locally by a reviewer may not always match. What really matters is
> whether or not the source tarball compiles and passes the checks for
> _you_. Reports published by RM are useless and a waste of RM time.

The RM must run the check and the result should be reported in the release vote.
This shows due diligence by the RM.

Further, when Gary ran the report and found a problem, it was not
clear that the RM had run the same report and not found a problem. We
now have that information, but it should have been in the release
vote.

> If something is still unclear we should work on improving BUILDING.txt
> instructions.

Better instructions are always useful.