hc-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: CVE-2014-3577 postmortem
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:47:00 GMT
>> Found that some of below are indeed able to hang the regex stack (e.g. # 2). However
the more elaborate regex-es are blocked by:

>> 	private final static Pattern WILDCARD_PATTERN = Pattern.compile( "^[a-z0-9\\-\\*]+(\\.[a-z0-9\\-]+){2,}$",
Pattern.CASE_INSENSITIVE);
>> 		..
>> 		WILDCARD_PATTERN.matcher(identity).matches()
>>
>> which we apply to the subjectAltName, CN, etc. So that is not too bad then - assuming
that that regep does not let them through. Which is likely - as the only dangerous thing I
see in there is a *.

> Thank you so much for your feedback. What I could do is validate both
> the identity and the subjectAltName pattern by making sure they consist
> of characters legal for domain names (alphanumeric, dash and asterisk in
> case of subjectAltName) prior to doing regexp matching with them.

Right - but I am wondering if that means we end up in a rear guard battle. As we then find
IPv6 addresses containing ‚:’ and god knows what new TLDs may do 5+ years hence.

Now *all* that is allowed are ‚*’ — and as far as I know - only in string (and not IPv4/IPv6)
based entries.

So perhaps it is an option to compare things from the TLD down with a very very simple loop.

	if (starts with a star) then
		@a = array of FQDN split on ‚.'
		@b = array of FQDN split on ‚.’

		if not right lenghts - bail
		working from the topmost side working to last but one
			bail if not the same.
		check if we have left just one entry on a and a wildcard on b.

i.e. avoid wildcards completely.

> Obviously - as we get into UTF8 internationalized domain names - we may accidentally
break that protection at some point.

> Would not internationalized domain names be Punycode encoded instead?

Yes - but I am worried about the easy to make mistakes; and the lack of normalization* some
people my accidentally not apply. The CA’s do not have a good track record.

But none of this is very urgent/key - just more a robustness thing.

Dw.

*: e.g. things like invisible unicode chars to do a ‚backspace’ or visually wipe text.