hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2014 13:24:14 GMT
On 29 June 2014 12:55, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 01:14 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > Right, and 'mvn clirr:check' gives you exactly that report. Voting on
>> > some pre-generated report or website is _idiocy_ because there is no way
>> > of telling if those reports actually match the release artifacts voted
>> > upon.
>>
>> There's also no way to be sure that the binaries agree with the source.
>
> And here we go. Voting on binary artifacts is equally stupid. The only

Sorry, that was a bad analogy.

But there are some aspects of binary artifacts that can - and should -
be checked.

For example, sigs, hashes, NOTICE and LICENSE.
Ensuring that the binary artifacts don't contain bundled items that
should not be present.
Ensuring that jars have suitable MANIFEST entries

> thing we should be voting on is source tarball. But who cares? Playing
> ASF police is just too much fun, isn't it?

That was unnecessary.