hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1
Date Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:14:16 GMT
On 28 June 2014 09:28, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 00:24 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > What's wrong with 'mvn clirr:check', which is a part of the release
>> > process anyway? One is welcome to add RAT maven plugin as well.
>>
>> My point is that these reports should be part of the RC VOTE.
>>

> Right, and 'mvn clirr:check' gives you exactly that report. Voting on
> some pre-generated report or website is _idiocy_ because there is no way
> of telling if those reports actually match the release artifacts voted
> upon.

There's also no way to be sure that the binaries agree with the source.
One has to assume that the RM is not being deliberately devious.

The point is that the RM has to run the RAT and Clirr reports, and
having them in the RC vote is a way of showing that for the e-mail
record.
The reviewers can also run the reports themselves.

I think the site should be present for future releases.

The site is not strictly part of the vote, but it contains some useful
reports, and it does no harm for the reviewers to scan the site for
any obvious errors.

>> > KEYS file is at its standard location [1] but I can put this url into
>>
>> I would say the standard location is
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/disk/<tlpname>/KEYS
>>
>> At least that is where most other TLPs seem to keep it.
>>
>> > the vote message template if you think it would add value.
>>
>> Please.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that the KEYS file is in a different place from
>> other projects, it is useful because:
>> - can copy/paste the mail contents easily
>> - it is a required part of the voting so should be documented in the mail
>>

> I can do that, but not for this release.

OK