hc-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Elliot <rob.ell...@ft.com>
Subject Caching responses to HEAD requests in httpclient-cache
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 12:48:52 GMT
Hi all,

We're using HTTP Client 4.x with httpclient-cache. Our system needs to
retrieve some metadata over HTTP that is returned in a Header Field, so it
only needs to make a HEAD request. However, as it stands httpclient-cache
does not cache the responses to HEAD requests.

While the HTTP spec doesn't (by my reading) take a positive position on
whether or not you can cache responses to HEAD requests, there doesn't seem
any particular reason why they shouldn't be cached, with the obvious
proviso that a GET request to a resource which currently only has a cached
header must result in a request to origin, and that PUT, POST & DELETE
requests should all invalidate the cache for that resource as usual.

We're considering extending httpclient-cache to make this possible, but we
don't want to lock ourselves out of upgrading forever. If we were to do so
and offer to contribute it back to the project would you be interested?

Regards,
Rob

--

This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at