hc-dev mailing list archives

From Marco Wolff <m.wo...@ftapi.com>
Subject Poor transfer rate using HttpClient 4.3 on Windows 7/Server 2008
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 07:30:05 GMT
I am developing a server and client software for data exchange, using the
HttpClient 4.3 in the client software (Java).

I am experiencing a poor transfer rate when client is running on Windows
7/Server 2008, meaning that the HttpClient is only using a small
percentage(20-40%) of the maximum bandwidth.

Using the HttpClient on Mac OS X, Linux, Windows 8(.1) does result in a
transfer rate that uses the maximum bandwidth (+95%).

I am able to fix this issue, setting the following registry entries in the
Windows registry on Windows 7/Server 2008:
Creating two DWORD entries:
* DefaultReceiveWindow
* DefaultSendWindow
Setting them according to the actual bandwidth: (Up\Download in Kilobits *
1024) / 8

After reboot, client software using HttpClient 4.3 is using maximum
bandwidth (+95%).

Could this be an issue with the buffer sizes of the sockets used in the
HttpClient 4.3?

Is this a known issue in the context of the HttpClient 4.3 implementation?
I found the mentioned fix after searching for a poor performance problem
with the Apache Server 2.2.X on Windows 7/ Server 2008. Does also occur in
HttpClient 3.2.