hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expect-continue doesn't seem operative using 4.3.x builder structures
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 12:25:51 GMT
On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 18:16 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
> The resolution to this problem was simple -- after I audited both
> HttpClient and SolrJ code.
>
> (0) Expect/continue handling, in the POST-case I was looking at, was in
> fact *off*.  It was disguised by the fact that the thread ID differed and I
> did not note that in the log when I looked at it.
> (1) In InternalHttpClient, if *any* configuration parameters are set, then
> configuration parameters are used, and the RequestConfig is *thrown away*.
> (2) In HttpSolrServer, randomly, it sets *one* configuration parameter,
> namely one turning on redirection handling.  This was actually in the code
> I included in the ticket, and it was sufficient to completely throw away my
> builder-created configuration.
> (3) The solution was to create a modified version of HttpSolrServer and fix
> the code so that it didn't do that.
>
> Any of the following would have been very helpful:
>
> (a) At least, output a log message when both parameters AND Config object
> were present.
> (b) Documentation (javadoc) making the implemented behavior clear.
> (c) Ideally, if you set a parameter and you've already got a Config object,
> an IllegalStateException should be thrown.
>
> This would have likely made it much quicker to diagnose than repeated
> debugging sessions, via patched diagnostic jars, with clients half a world
> away.  Better to fail immediately than give the impression that things were
> okay when they were not.  Thoughts?

HttpParams interface and related classes are deprecated, aren't they?

I personally would not be in favor of throwing an IllegalStateException
in case of conflicting configurations for the compatibility sake. My
preference would be either to log a big, scary warning or investing some
time into making HttpClientParamConfig capable merging old style and new
style configurations, the latter being the preferred option.

Oleg