hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time line for 5.0; was Re: Publicising methods in a GA release
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2014 23:13:13 GMT
On 21 February 2014 23:05, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 15:54 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> > Why not move trunk to 5.0 instead of 4.4 so we can drop all this
>> deprecated
>> > code?
>> >

>> Major releases tend to be very disruptive. They are supposed to be. We
>> should consider doing 5.0 after 4.4 and taking it as an opportunity to
>> introduce some major features such as HTTP/2.0 support. However,
>> speaking from 4.0 experience it may take years to complete.
>>
>> I would not do a major release just to drop deprecated code.

+1.
We should not cause unnecessary grief for end-users.

> Perhaps, but you could start there, release early release often. 5.0 could
> drop code, 5.1 could start adding features.

Release early release often (RERO) does not make it easier for end-users.

RERO may work well if the API is not being changed - i.e. only fixing bugs
However the "release early" mantra often means that the API is
half-baked - and then cannot be changed without causing grief to
end-users