hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Request for comments] HttpClient re-spin for Android
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:14:54 GMT
On 27 January 2014 19:43, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 19:33 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> >>

>> > That was my initial plan, too. But try re-writing the sources using
>> > regex when you have multiple classes with the same name. I had to give
>> > up after a full day of wasted efforts. My regex skills are very basic,
>> > though. So, improvements are highly welcome
>> >
>> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient-android/trunk/build.gradle
>>
>> How do you decide which classes need renaming, and which ones don't?
>>

> By comparing different versions using reflection. It is in the script.

The script contains lots of special ("magic") package and class names,
so presumably a simple comparison is not sufficient.
How are these exceptions determined?

>> ==
>>
>> Are there likely to be many developers who need to provide an
>> application that runs unmodified on both Android and Java?
>> If not, then it would surely be sufficient to just provide a shaded
>> version for Android which uses a different package name?
>>

> Maybe not. But there are enough applications that are compiled against
> Android APIs that cannot be used with repackaged code.

Not sure I follow.

If an app is compiled against the Android APIs, I don't see how it can
take advantage of any new classes without changing the source and
recompiling.
In which case, would it not make sense to convert the code to use all
new class names?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any great advantage to
the proposed Android build.