hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Request for comments] HttpClient re-spin for Android
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:33:27 GMT
On 27 January 2014 18:54, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 13:24 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> Wow this is confusing! Why not repackage the classes instead of renaming each one
with an HC4 postfix?

> That was my initial plan, too. But try re-writing the sources using
> regex when you have multiple classes with the same name. I had to give
> up after a full day of wasted efforts. My regex skills are very basic,
> though. So, improvements are highly welcome
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient-android/trunk/build.gradle

How do you decide which classes need renaming, and which ones don't?

==

Are there likely to be many developers who need to provide an
application that runs unmodified on both Android and Java?
If not, then it would surely be sufficient to just provide a shaded
version for Android which uses a different package name?

Or indeed the developers could be provided with details as to how to
shade their application for Android.
That might be easier for the developers than having to be aware of
which classes are compatible and which are not.

If there is ever a need to create a binary incompatible version of
HC4, then we would need to use a new package anyway, and the Android
issue would vanish...