hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Request for comments] HttpClient re-spin for Android
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:32:22 GMT
The first thing I'd like to suggest is avoiding the term 're-spin' in the
name of the component. To me re-spin means to retry a release. For example,
I cut an RC1, problems are found, so we need a re-spin to an RC2. Since
this is a different component, I'd just call it 'HttpClient for Android',
nice and simple. But this may not matter in the end because... it sounds
like 4.0 and 4.3 are not binary compatible (BC).

So let's start with that, is that so? I'm looking at our site and I cannot
find reports like Clirr and on so. Granted in the case of HttpClient I
would expect a Clirr of 4.3.2 vs. 4.3.1, which would not tell me anything
vs 4.0. Looking at the release notes, it looks like there have been of API
changes that break BC, for example from 4.1 to 4.2.

Over in the Apache Commons project, the general guideline is that when you
break BC, you use a new package name and new Maven coordinates. See lang ->
lang3 and pool -> pool2 for example. If the BC break is

If you do not do this, you are creating jar hell.

A classic jar problem is if I depend on a third party jar that depends on
HC 4.0, then I cannot write my app to anything else but 4.0. If HC 5 is in
a new package, then I can happily use HC5 and the guts of the third party
jar can happily use HC4. Yes, they would not be re-using the same caches
for example but at least there would be no surprises.

Adding copies of a bunch of classes with an HC4 postfix seems worse (to me)
than another copy of HC in a new package.

Gary