hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Request for comments] HttpClient re-spin for Android
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:27:40 GMT
On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 08:08 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Let me make sure I understand these points (-):
>
> - HttpClient (HC) is baked in Android
> - This cannot be overridden by placing a new HC jar on the classpath
> - Android has no endorsed path mechanism like regular Java?

Correct (all three).

> Hence the proposed HC4 post-fixed classes.
>
> - This is not a problem for regular Java users since one can add a new HC
> jar on the classpath before the old one or simply replace the old with the
> new.

Correct.

> I know I've asked this before, but I'd like to repeat it in the context of
> this email: It seems simpler to provide a repackaged HC in
> org.apache.http43 or a name like it.

Because that kills compatibility with 3rd party libraries compiled
against Android APIs such as Spring for Android. I did my best to
explain it in details in one of my previous messages to Sebastian

> The current cherry picking seems error prone, requires deep knowledge and
> would be hard to maintain.

Correct, but it is a lesser evil than all other options. I am willing to
do all the heavy lifting for HC 4.3, though. Beyond that the port may
become unnecessary.

Oleg