hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1551291
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:13:11 GMT
On 17 December 2013 21:33, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 21:17 +0000, sebb wrote:

>> > This makes no sense to me, but so be it.
>> > Could you please then remove that entry from the release notes?
>>
>> I don't see why that's necessary.
>>
>> > We should at the very least be
>> > consistent in such fundamental things and either make no attributions at
>> > all, make no attributions to project committers or mandate attribution.
>>
>> What does it matter if one or two attribution lines are missing?
>>
>> I fail to see how the presence or absence of an attribution line is
>> "fundamental" to the release notes.
>>
>> The JIRA issues and descriptions of changes - yes, those are
>> fundamental, but attributions?
>>
>> If people want attribution, fine, let it be in the release notes.
>> If they do not, omit the attribution.
>>
>> What is the problem with that?
>>

> I do not see why on earth one would want to announce a change in the
> release notes

Because the RN file needs to cover all the substantive changes made.

> and at the same time refuse to acknowledge personal
> participation in the matter.

Committer participation is documented by the SCM logs; I don't think
it _needs_ further mention in the RN.
That should be optional.

There may well be large changes that don't really warrant a mention in
the RN (for example tab removal, and other changes that don't affect
the code)
So the RN file is in any case not a full record of participation.

Furthermore, where a committer applies a patch provided by a 3rd
party, the RN file only acknowledges the patch provider (e.g.
HTTPCORE-340), even though substantial work may also have been
required by the committer.

> To me attribution in case of project
> committers is more about taking responsibility rather than about getting
> credit.

Again, the SCM records this.
A committer takes responsibility by committing a change.

> But so be it. There are ways of seeing and not seeing.

Indeed.