hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Stale connection checking with NIO
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:12:09 GMT
Hi Oleg

To a previous reply [1] on this list you said: "The stale connection
check is needed for blocking connections only as the blocking I/O model
provides no way of finding out whether a connection is half-closed
unless a attempt is made to read from the underlying socket.
Non-blocking connections can immediately react to I/O events due to
their asynchronous nature and can either be open or closed, but never
stale."

We are seeing something very similar to a stale connection when we try
to re-use a keep-alive connection. Although I still do not have a TCP
dump to prove this, at a theoretical level isn't is possible for a NIO
connection kept alive to be stale at the point of it being re-used?

thanks
asankha

[1] http://markmail.org/message/okuhqdcqgkavmhta

--