hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 based on RC2
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2013 23:25:13 GMT
On 26 October 2013 21:58, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22 October 2013 19:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents AsyncClient
>> > 4.0. The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
>> > HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
>> > three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.
>> >
>> > Packages:
>> >
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient-4.0-RC2
>> > revision 3323
>> >
>> > Release notes:
>> >
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient-4.0-RC2/RELEASE_NOTES-4.0.x.txt
>> >
>> > Maven artefacts:
>> >
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-020/org/apache/httpcomponents/
>> >
>> > SVN tag:
>> >
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient/tags/4.0-RC2
>> > revision 1534621

>> > Vote: HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 release
>> > [ ] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0.
>> > [X] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
>>
>> Clirr reports errors in both httpasyncclient and httpasyncclient-cache.
>>

> To make things harder for reviewer, the BUILDING.txt file does not include
> instructions for building the site. Since this is a multi-module projects,
> this documentation is important because building a multi-module site is not
> something I remember how to do off the top of my head, it's not just 'mvn
> site'.
>
> When I do
>
> mvn site:stage-deploy
> -DstagingSiteURL=file:///%HOME%/HttpComponents/AsyncClient
>
> I get an NPE no matter what version of Maven I use.
>
> @Sebb: Did you build the site or just look at the generated clirr HTML
> files created by running 'mvn site'.

Neither.

I ran "mvn clirr:clirr".

> Gary
>

>> I think these need to be investigated and addressed indivually.
>> Either by fixing the incompatibility, or by establishing that a
>> particular change is not likely to be a problem in practice and
>> documenting it in the release notes.
>>
>> The previous release was a beta release, not alpha, so compatibility
>> ought to be maintained.
>>

> In my mind, we should worry about BC between releases.

I assume you mean GA releases here?

> For other labels, like alphas, betas, milestones and so on,

These are releases too...

> interpretation between projects are just too varied

I would expect most projects to regard at least Alpha releases as
unstable, but otherwise there may be variations.

Each project should decide what the aims/requirements of the different
release types are, document them, and then stick to the documented
conventions.

It's vital that developers know which types of releases are safe to
incorporate in packages they then release.