hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 based on RC2
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:08:15 GMT
On 27 October 2013 13:39, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 12:31 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > Sebastian,
>> >
>> > This release is expected by Apache CXF and Spring and a fairly substantial number
of individual users who are no less important. I do make my very best to accommodate to your
wishes and demands and in other circumstances would comply with them as many times before.
In this case though I will have to seek the required majority of votes to secure the release.

>> This is not my personal demand.
>> I'm trying to make sure that we don't break 3rd party applications
>> unnecessarily.
>>

> By doing what exactly? By blocking the first GA release that tries to
> establish a stable API baseline?

As I already wrote, Clirr errors need to be investigated and addressed.

Either by recoding to remove them, or by ensuring that the errors are
clearly documented.

The latter should be easy enough to do, and with Gradle I assume
re-rolling the release should also be easy.

> There is _nothing_ that mandates full
> binary compatibility between BETA releases, especially for a x.0
> product.

This ought to be documented going forward.

But regardless, it's important that the end-users are informed of such changes.

> I kept RC1 vote open for about a week fully anticipating some random
> stuff from you like blank lines in license / notice files. There was
> ample of time to make whatever adjustments to the release that you
> deemed necessary.

I have not -1'ed a release purely on blank lines and you know that.
Also I am not the only person concerned about the compatibility issue.

Unfortunately problems are sometimes not found the first time round.
I agree it's a nuisance to re-roll the release with the updated docs,
but it will help some end users and may prevent some error reports
from beta users