hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF release madness (rant)
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:18:55 GMT
On 28 October 2013 15:07, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 14:53 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> On 28 October 2013 10:47, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Sooo, our JIRA link is out date. Big deal, trivial to fix [1], right?
>>
>> Yes
>>
>> > But now we need to release a new parent POM and even with the lazy
>> > consensus vote it still means a 3 day delay.
>>
>> Disagree.
>>
>> > Maven and ASF release policies is a marriage made in hell.
>>
>> Yes, the parent pom needs lazy consensus to be updated to the next release.
>>
>> However, there's no requirement for site builds to be subject to the
>> release process, so it's easy enough to fix bugs on the website.
>>
>> Obviously it makes sense to update the pom and get it approved, but I
>> see no reason why you should not fix the website in the meantime, if
>> it is urgent.
>>

> Exactly how? By hacking html files

That's one way.
Good for localised urgent changes.
Not so good in that a site rebuild will probably lose the changes.

> or by using a POM snapshot as
> suggested by Gary and risking picking up some unwanted changes?

That's another.

I don't see how using a temporarily updated pom will be any worse than
waiting for the same pom to be updated and formally released.
If there is an issue with picking up unwanted changes, it will apply
to a rebuild with the new parent pom too.

> All I want to be able to produce exactly the same web content with one
> frigging URL different.

The way we do it on the JMeter project is to copy the release tag to a
docs branch, and make changes there (and in trunk if relevant).
The site is then updated from the branch.

I'm not sure how the HC site is built, but there must be a way to
rebuild it with minimal changes.