hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 based on RC2
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:02:07 GMT
On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 11:42:06AM +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 22 October 2013 19:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents AsyncClient
> > 4.0. The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes from
> > HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
> > three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.
> >
> > Packages:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient-4.0-RC2
> > revision 3323
> >
> > Release notes:
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient-4.0-RC2/RELEASE_NOTES-4.0.x.txt
> >
> > Maven artefacts:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-020/org/apache/httpcomponents/
> >
> > SVN tag:
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpasyncclient/tags/4.0-RC2
> > revision 1534621

> > Vote: HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 release
> > [ ] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0.
> > [X] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
>
> Clirr reports errors in both httpasyncclient and httpasyncclient-cache.
>
> I think these need to be investigated and addressed indivually.
> Either by fixing the incompatibility, or by establishing that a
> particular change is not likely to be a problem in practice and
> documenting it in the release notes.
>
> The previous release was a beta release, not alpha, so compatibility
> ought to be maintained.

Sebastian,

This release is expected by Apache CXF and Spring and a fairly substantial number of individual
users who are no less important. I do make my very best to accommodate to your wishes and
demands and in other circumstances would comply with them as many times before. In this case
though I will have to seek the required majority of votes to secure the release.

Minor API changes in BETA phase should still permissible, especially if they are confined
to classes and interfaces introduced in the previous BETA.

Oleg