hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents AsyncClient 4.0 based on RC2
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2013 13:39:31 GMT
On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 12:31 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 26 October 2013 12:02, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Clirr reports errors in both httpasyncclient and httpasyncclient-cache.
> >>
> >> I think these need to be investigated and addressed indivually.
> >> Either by fixing the incompatibility, or by establishing that a
> >> particular change is not likely to be a problem in practice and
> >> documenting it in the release notes.
> >>
> >> The previous release was a beta release, not alpha, so compatibility
> >> ought to be maintained.
> >>

> > Sebastian,
> >
> > This release is expected by Apache CXF and Spring and a fairly substantial number
of individual users who are no less important. I do make my very best to accommodate to your
wishes and demands and in other circumstances would comply with them as many times before.
In this case though I will have to seek the required majority of votes to secure the release.

> This is not my personal demand.
> I'm trying to make sure that we don't break 3rd party applications
> unnecessarily.

By doing what exactly? By blocking the first GA release that tries to
establish a stable API baseline? There is _nothing_ that mandates full
binary compatibility between BETA releases, especially for a x.0
product.

I kept RC1 vote open for about a week fully anticipating some random
stuff from you like blank lines in license / notice files. There was
ample of time to make whatever adjustments to the release that you
deemed necessary.

Oleg