hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:57:21 GMT
On 3 September 2013 10:48, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 02:03 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
>> Hi Sebb,
>>
>> "It is essential that the files in a source release can be matched
>> against those in SVN."
>>
>> I think that's technically not necessary according to Apache rules;  what's
>> necessary is that the bits in the tar or zip be based *solely* on the svn
>> tag and upstream dependencies.  But you really vote not on the tag but on
>> the tar and zip.
>>
>> "But the main issue I have is that the PNG file in the ZIP archive is
>> corrupt."
>>
>> I think that should be fixed.  It's also worth considering that perhaps
>> fixing up line endings for Windows users is maybe not worth the pain in the
>> behind at release time that it is.  Most people use editors these days that
>> don't care.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Karl
> Line delimiters of all human readable files as well as source code get
> adjusted based on the type of the distribution. The whole thing boils
> down to a just a few _resource_ files, which I personally think should
> never be meddled with given that line delimiters may be semantically
> significant.

If a fixed eol is required by resource files, they should not have
eol-style:native in SVN.
They should have either LF or CRLF depending on which eol is required
by the format.

But if the format requires different EOL for Windows and Un*x, then
native is correct and so is conversion to the appropriate ending.

I am not saying that every text file needs to be converted.
But ones which are converted by SVN (i.e. native) should be converted
for the corresponding archive.