hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Client 4.2.6 release
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:34:38 GMT
On 3 September 2013 07:03, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>
> "It is essential that the files in a source release can be matched
> against those in SVN."
>
> I think that's technically not necessary according to Apache rules;  what's
> necessary is that the bits in the tar or zip be based *solely* on the svn
> tag and upstream dependencies.

How can you check that the bits in the tar are based solely on the tag
if you cannot compare the tar contents against the tag?

> But you really vote not on the tag but on the tar and zip.

Yes, of course, but the files in the archive must have the correct license.
There are far too many files to check individually, so one relies on
the fact that files in the tag have been pre-approved.
Effectively SVN tag is a database of files that are believed OK at
that point in time.

> "But the main issue I have is that the PNG file in the ZIP archive is
> corrupt."
>
> I think that should be fixed.

Thanks.

> It's also worth considering that perhaps
> fixing up line endings for Windows users is maybe not worth the pain in the
> behind at release time that it is.  Most people use editors these days that
> don't care.

We also fix up line endings for Un*x users if the RM happens to be
using Windows.