hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Java 1.5 -> 1.6 or 1.7? was Re: java 1.5?
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:22:14 GMT
On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 17:25 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> HttpClient 4.2 and 4.3 requires Java 5.
>
> Which components are you talking about?
>
> Gary

I think the question is whether or not we should retain 1.5
compatibility for the next release series.

I believe that 1.5 compatibility is becoming pointless. It is getting
increasingly difficult to maintain while hardly helping us expand our
user base. As far as know there is no even official way of obtaining a
1.5 JDK from Oracle.

However having said all that I also have to admit that Java 1.6 does not
really bring a lot in terms of new features. We probably should also
consider upgrading straight to Java 1.7 in order to get full try with
resources support and NIO2.

I suggest that we take this discussion to the user list and start a poll
on a minimal JRE level for the next release series.

Oleg