hc-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating Synapse to Latest HTTP Core
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 03:51:02 GMT

On Jul 22, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Rajika Kumarasiri <rajika.kumarasiri@gmail.com> wrote:

> May be we should enable the SSl debug logs and see what's going on ?

I ran some more tests and it looks like the HTTPS sender doesn't work with HTTP Core 4.2.
It just sends out the messages without any SSL security. I can even monitor the message in
plain text using TCPMon. Looks like some SSL related code in the Synapse HTTPS sender doesn't
work properly with the new HTTP Core.

Thanks,
Hiranya

> Rajika
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Currently Synapse is based on HTTP Core 4.1.4. I just tried using 4.2 instead (just changed
the version of the maven dependency). Almost everything worked fine, except for a couple of
integration test failures. In both these tests Synapse uses HTTPS to contact the backend services,
so I suppose that's where things went wrong. The backend server threw the following exception
in the process:

> 2013-07-22 17:06:36,970 [-] [https-Listener I/O dispatcher-1] ERROR ServerHandler I/O
error: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
> javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
>         at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.EngineInputRecord.bytesInCompletePacket(EngineInputRecord.java:152)
>         at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.readNetRecord(SSLEngineImpl.java:806)
>         at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.unwrap(SSLEngineImpl.java:721)
>         at javax.net.ssl.SSLEngine.unwrap(SSLEngine.java:607)
>         at org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doUnwrap(SSLIOSession.java:228)
>         at org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doHandshake(SSLIOSession.java:263)
>         at org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.isAppInputReady(SSLIOSession.java:370)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.SSLServerIOEventDispatch.inputReady(SSLServerIOEventDispatch.java:229)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.readable(BaseIOReactor.java:160)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvent(AbstractIOReactor.java:342)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvents(AbstractIOReactor.java:320)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.execute(AbstractIOReactor.java:280)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.execute(BaseIOReactor.java:106)
>         at org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor$Worker.run(AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor.java:604)
>
> I also tried upgrading to the latest HTTP Core version (4.2.4). With this version NHTTP
unit tests failed and most of the integration tests failed too. It turns out only the very
first integration test ran successfully. Everything that followed threw a bind exception.
Looks like something isn't getting cleaned up properly (although the logs indicate that Synapse
transport listeners are shutting down cleanly after each test case).

> Does anybody got an idea what's going on? Do we need to do any code changes to migrate
to the latest HTTP Core?

> Thanks,
> Hiranya
> --