hc-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Moore <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gradle for HC builds
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:46:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> Jenkins certainly has a Gradle plugin. I can't say for sure though if it
> has been installed on the ASF CI server(s).
>
> For a certain period of time I could maintain two build systems but
> gradually move all release operations to Gradle.

I'm pretty agnostic here, to be honest. It doesn't seem like anyone is
particularly in love with Maven, but the only way to really understand
something else is to try it. Given that Oleg has offered to maintain two
builds for a trial period, I'm +1 for this effort to make building and
releasing easier. The project's requirements aren't that complex, so it
seems pretty likely we could stand up a build system in almost anything.
Since Oleg is the one offering to do the work, I think it's fine for him to
try Gradle first. :)

My one suggestion is that we should probably have someone *other* than Oleg
do the first release on a new build system, to ensure that we got the right
documentation (but also to increase our bus factor[1]: I don't think I've
ever seen anyone other than Oleg cut a release!).

Jon

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor