hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gradle for HC builds
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:51:52 GMT
On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 10:32 -0400, James Leigh wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 16:08 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
> > on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
> > Gradle.
> >
> > I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
> > horrible. One of which is the site plugin. Now that we have to use
> > SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
> > trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
> > of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
> > but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
> > plugin. The trouble with this approach in the context of ASF is that
> > every little modification of deployment logic would require a bloody
> > release vote. Gradle on the contrary provides a very rich scripting
> > environment where almost anything can be done inside the build script.
> > One Site plugin (or one Release plugin for that matter) simply cannot be
> > coerced into covering all possible deployment scenarios without becoming
> > an unmanageable abomination.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I have never looked at Gradle before, but I see the advantages of Gradle
> over Maven, but how does it compare to Ant?
>
> The dependencies for httpcomponents are trivial. The dependencies URL
> could easily be listed in a "dependencies.uri" and downloaded in an ant
> task using the get ant task[1]. What (useful feature[2]) does Gradle
> provide that Ant doesn't?
>
> I'd be happy to help with the build.xml ant files for httpcomponents as
> I use them a number of projects to download dependencies, build jars,
> and package zip files. I am also involved in projects that use ant to
> direct the build tasks, while delegating to mvn for dependencies and to
> produce jars.
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/get.html
> [2] http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/userguide_single.html#overview
>
> James

James

Looks like Gradle is a more modern version of Ant with a nice Groovy
based DSL instead of XML markup.

We just need to do something about our release process (mainly
distribution assembly and web content generation). I could not care what
it is: Maven, Gradle or Ant as long as it fixes some of the existing
pain areas in our release process and I feel less miserable every time I
need to cut a new HC release. Oh, and description of the bloody site
generation and deployment process does not feel like Tolstoy's "War and
Peace".

Oleg