hc-dev mailing list archives

From James Leigh <ja...@3roundstones.com>
Subject Re: Gradle for HC builds
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:32:07 GMT
On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 16:08 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
> on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
> Gradle.
>
> I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
> horrible. One of which is the site plugin. Now that we have to use
> SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
> trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
> of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
> but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
> plugin. The trouble with this approach in the context of ASF is that
> every little modification of deployment logic would require a bloody
> release vote. Gradle on the contrary provides a very rich scripting
> environment where almost anything can be done inside the build script.
> One Site plugin (or one Release plugin for that matter) simply cannot be
> coerced into covering all possible deployment scenarios without becoming
> an unmanageable abomination.

Hi,

I have never looked at Gradle before, but I see the advantages of Gradle
over Maven, but how does it compare to Ant?

The dependencies for httpcomponents are trivial. The dependencies URL
could easily be listed in a "dependencies.uri" and downloaded in an ant
task using the get ant task[1]. What (useful feature[2]) does Gradle
provide that Ant doesn't?

I'd be happy to help with the build.xml ant files for httpcomponents as
I use them a number of projects to download dependencies, build jars,
and package zip files. I am also involved in projects that use ant to
direct the build tasks, while delegating to mvn for dependencies and to
produce jars.

[1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/get.html
[2] http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/userguide_single.html#overview

James