hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gradle for HC builds
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:08:21 GMT
On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 08:57 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
> Can you elaborate as to what you feel are the advantages of gradle?  Why do
> you want to switch over?
>
> Karl

Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
Gradle.

I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
horrible. One of which is the site plugin. Now that we have to use
SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
plugin. The trouble with this approach in the context of ASF is that
every little modification of deployment logic would require a bloody
release vote. Gradle on the contrary provides a very rich scripting
environment where almost anything can be done inside the build script.
One Site plugin (or one Release plugin for that matter) simply cannot be
coerced into covering all possible deployment scenarios without becoming
an unmanageable abomination.

Oleg