hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject HttpCore NIO performance improvements
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 12:02:04 GMT
Folks,

I invested some time into performance optimization of non-blocking core
components in order to push HttpCore 4.3 and HttpAsyncClient 4.0 closer
to a GA release. I implemented several local optimizations in the low
level transport code and also fixed a bug in the non-blocking connection
pool code that can be a major performance inhibitor when executing
thousands of small requests in a tight loop.

My performance benchmarks, admittedly very limited and
non-comprehensive, now show pretty good results in client side test
scenarios for NIO based implementations. In fact, in my tests HttpCore
NIO performance matches that of blocking HttpClient even with a very
modest number of concurrent connections (<20) which is something I
thought I would never see.

I am going to prepare HttpCore 4.3 beta2 release incorporating those
improvements in a few days. I also ported some of those changes to the
stable (4.2.x) branch. If enough people were able to test their
applications with the latest 4.2.x snapshot for regressions we could
also consider releasing those performance improvements from the stable
branch.

Please note all said above applies to non-blocking NIO based code only
and does not affect blocking HttpCore and HttpClient.

Oleg