hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Svnpubsub for dist archives
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:56:27 GMT
On 24 March 2013 13:19, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 22:34 +0000, sebb wrote:

> Maybe I am just having a bad day here but this whole idea of using svn
> for just about anything seem, well, questionable. It turned out svnmucc
> thing did not support wildcard expansion, which makes it next to
> useless. That basically means that over a dozen distribution files (zip,
> gz, asc, md5) have to be moved individually one by one. While this
> theoretically could be scripted it just made already painful release
> process much more painful.

Which is why I wrote that I hoped to create a way to do this automatically.
I did this for JMeter, but we use Ant which gives us more control over
how files are created.
Maven hides the created file names in the assembly descriptors and elsewhere.

We have no choice over using SVN for releasing files; that is mandated by Infra.
So we just need to find ways to make the process as simple and
error-free as possible.

There are some advantages to using SVN/svnpubsub:
- immediate publication to the mirror
- traceability of files from RC vote to release directory if one uses
the dev/ tree for RC staging.