hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Svnpubsub for dist archives
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 13:19:07 GMT
On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 22:34 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 25 November 2012 14:14, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 01:47 +0000, sebb wrote:
> >> I propose to start working on setting up svnpubsub for dist/ archives,
> >> i.e. releases. This is an infra requirement which has to be done by
> >> the start of next year.
> >>
> >> First stage is to create the dev and release SVN trees under
> >>
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/
> >>
> >> and get commit messages sent to the appropriate mailing list.
> >>
> >> I assume that the most suitable list is:
> >>
> >> commits@hc.a.o
> >>
> >> which is where all the other commits go.
> >>
> >> Finally we ask Infra to enable svnpubsub; after that point all
> >> releases will need to be done via the dist SVN repo.
> >>
> >> I suggest that svnpubsub is only enabled after the current release
> >> votes are completed, but the SVN directories and mailing lists can be
> >> set up now.
> >>
> >> The idea is that release candidates are uploaded to the staging area
> >>
> >> dev/httpcomponents/
> >>
> >> for review; once the vote passes the files are renamed to
> >>
> >> release/httpcomponents/
> >>
> >> This can be done with individual SVN commands, but it is much better
> >> to use svnmucc which can move all the files in a single transaction.
> >>
> >> I hope to be able to create a script to generate the svnmucc command
> >> list from Maven pom and assembly files but if not it's not too
> >> difficult to create the commands by hand.
> >>
> >> This will require a minor change to the release vote process.
> >> The files need to be uploaded to the new shared staging area, not
> >> individual user home directories. And the publish process will require
> >> using SVN rather than copy, but it can be done without needing to
> >> login to people.

Maybe I am just having a bad day here but this whole idea of using svn
for just about anything seem, well, questionable. It turned out svnmucc
thing did not support wildcard expansion, which makes it next to
useless. That basically means that over a dozen distribution files (zip,
gz, asc, md5) have to be moved individually one by one. While this
theoretically could be scripted it just made already painful release
process much more painful.

Oleg