hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIO performance improvements
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:56:32 GMT
Hi Oleg
> I made really major changes to HttpCore NIO in order to reduce packet
> fragmentation on the TCP level when transmitting relatively short (less
> than 1 TCP frame) entity enclosing messages. In my tests I am seeing 25
> to 30% performance improvements for short PUT and POST requests on the
> client side and for short responses the server side as a result of
> reduced TCP packet fragmentation.
This is interesting.. What was the size of the messages that yielded the
improvement? Does this also relate to the use of tcpnodelay
> The downside is that all this comes at the price of destabilizing areas
> of code that have been well tested and stable for years. I made sure
> that those areas have close to 100% unit test coverage, but still there
> can be regressions.
>
> I would be enormously thankful if you could take the latest SVN trunk
> for a spin and test it with your applications. I would be interesting to
> know if the latest changes actually translate into any tangible
> performance gains at the application level.
During our migration, at one point we also did migrate to 4.3-alpha1 -
so it would be something we would love to do, but it will need some more
time, as we are yet to finalize the fallback to 4.2.x..
> Another interesting thing. For the first time I have seen NIO transports
> outperform blocking ones with as few as 100 concurrent connections when
> using the latest Java 6 or Java 7 Oracle JREs. It used to take 1000 or
> more concurrent connections a few years back. I am now very curious to
> see if I can make HttpAsyncClient outperform HttpClient with, say, 250
> concurrent connections.
Thats great to hear! and I look forward to trying out the AsyncClient
over raw HC/NIO

Thanks to all of your efforts

regards
asankha