hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question on HC Connection pooling - PoolEntry
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:56:52 GMT
Hi Oleg
>> public synchronized void updateExpiry(final long time, final TimeUnit
>> tunit) {
>>           Args.notNull(tunit, "Time unit");
>>           this.updated = System.currentTimeMillis();
>>           long newExpiry;
>>           if (time > 0) {
>>               newExpiry = this.updated + tunit.toMillis(time);
>>           } else {
>>               newExpiry = Long.MAX_VALUE;
>>           }
>>           this.expiry = Math.min(newExpiry, this.validUnit);
>>       }
>>
> Hi Asankha
>
> Let's say a pool entry is created at 10:00 with the total time to live
> of 10 minutes. The validUntil value is set to 10:10. Let's say at 10:05
> #updateExpiry takes 10 minutes as input thus making newExpiry equal to
> 10:15. Should not validUntil still apply and take precedence over
> newExpiry?
>
> Oleg
That's what I was wondering, and I thought the newExpiry should take
precedence, since each time I re-use a connection, I'd typically want to
extend its life time. I guess re-using connections is my objective when
using a connection pool, and thus, with each re-use the life time should
extend, unless some request causes a connection close or non-reusable
event where its discarded.

When I created the original connection I state that it can be reused
within another 10 minutes - i.e. until 10:10. When I do re-use it at
10:05, if I am to call updateExpiry() again, that indicates that I want
to now "update" the expiry time which is currently set. Now if I say I
want to re-use this again in the next 10 minutes, i.e. until 10:15, the
new expiry time should be the max of validUntil and newExpiry

thanks and regards
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera